The forerunner of the current store opened in 1868 as R Campbell & Son in premises that are now part of Campbell's of Leyburn. The principals were Robert Campbell, who was head gardener on the Bolton Estate, and his son Alexander, an apprentice grocer.
Almost a century later, the store they created was the site for a local retail revolution. The 4th generation Campbell to run the store – who was also called Robert - took the visionary step of ripping out the interior and creating the first self-service shop in the Dales.
In the following decades, continual investment and innovation created today’s Campbell's of Leyburn, which uniquely combines all the choice, convenience and competitive pricing of big city supermarkets with features such as;
As one of Wensleydale’s oldest businesses and a highly regarded major local employer, Campbell's is at the heart of the local community. This is reflected both in the way we conduct our business and the support we give to events and initiatives to support the local economy.